If you suspect that you have a torn meniscus, consult your primary care physician first. 

Your doctor will be able to decide whether it is sufficient for you to rest the knee for a while and take medications to reduce the pain or whether your knee should be evaluated by an orthopaedic specialist.
If necessary, your doctor will give you a referral to us.
An orthopaedic specialist will ask you to describe how the pain started and will then perform a thorough examination of the knee. In many cases, an X-ray will be obtained.

If the specialist suspects that you have a torn meniscus, magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) of the knee will be performed in order to establish the definitive diagnosis. Based on the MRI scans, the specialist can determine precisely which anatomic structures are damaged and the exact type and nature of the injury or injuries.
If the suspicion of a meniscus tear is confirmed, we generally recommend arthroscopic surgery for removal of the injured portion of the meniscus.